Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, October 4, 2013

Walking Ridgecrest

           
Last Saturday I met my friend Gloria at Habitat for Humanity’s Restore. The store is moving from a large warehouse off old Route 66 to a more upscale store near my neighborhood. I’m not sure why. Selfishly, I love that it will be closer to me; I always feel happy when I step inside. It’s a store full of stories and possibility, questions. Where did that ragged turquoise door once hang? Will that corner-shaped sink fit in my bathroom? And the earnings support a worthy cause.
The neighborhood it’s been in is closer to where poorer people live, so the move seems somehow not quite right, though. Until Saturday, I’d thought there were going to be two stores.
Because of the relocation, everything at the old store was half price, and Gloria scored a special vent pipe for her wood stove at a magnificent bargain.
            The other great thing about the old location is that it backs onto one of my favorite indoor flea markets, housed in the old Rainbow Roller Rink. Gloria had never been there, so that became our next explore (as Winnie the Pooh would put it). I was scouting for three things—a day bed with trundle (no dice), a moveable kitchen island (nada), and some serving trays (nope). However, I got two very nice stackable, wooden occasional tables at an excellent price, and they will be of service when I host my book group this weekend and for many gatherings to come.
            After that jaunt we set out on our planned walk. We’d picked the location for its proximity to Restore. Ridgecrest is both a street and an older neighborhood in southeast Albuquerque. The street runs on a curvy angle connecting three major arteries and causing crazy zigzags among the side streets and thoroughfares trying valiantly to run parallel to the arteries. The houses are large and individually designed—some old adobes, fifties prairie style houses, and sixties modern. Tall and venerable trees make Ridgecrest a shady place to walk in the heat of the afternoon, and there is a wide grassy median, also populated with trees.

            We walked a narrow path on the median, and there we found intricately patterned roots, which
we examined, stopping to marvel at some, stepping over others. We talked of autumn and the heightened awareness it brings of the cycles of life and death.

I have tried photographing roots often because their configurations have such power to captivate, but I am not usually able to do justice to them. Nevertheless, I will share two root pictures and one of a knot at eye level, which I crossed the street to snap.



1 comment:

  1. Well, I like your root pics!
    Not sure how I get my name here: Rick Kruis

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. If you enjoyed this blog, please consider subscribing by Email. To do this, type your Email address in the Follow by Email box at the bottom of the page and click submit. Future posts will arrive in your inbox automatically.

Follow by Email